Course Host Information - Morgantown
Thank you for serving as a host for an OLLI class. Course Host play an important role in OLLI at WVU, representing the program in the classroom, and we truly appreciate your service.
The following list of duties is meant to serve as a guide to assist you in providing the best possible experience for our volunteer instructors and members. If you have any questions, please contact the OLLI office at 304-293-1793 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If a course is meeting outside of regular business hours, please call Jascenna Haislet, Director, at 309-239-1540. Please note that knowledge of technical problems is not necessary for you to be a host.
- Please arrive a few minutes early to pick up the classroom key from the office. Take the folder with class list and any handouts from the instructor’s mailbox; replace class folder in the mailbox after class. Introduce yourself to the instructor and tell him/her that you are the Course Host. Give the instructor a copy of the Course Feedback form for his/her information.
- Ask the instructor how she/he wants to handle questions and comments from class members, and either you or the instructor should inform the class about the plan. We are encouraging instructors to consider suggesting people hold questions and comments until an appropriate time in the presentation to be sure they have time to finish their material. Of course, this is at the discretion of the instructor. However, if you feel questions and comments are interrupting the presentation for the instructor and other class members, feel free to talk to the instructor at the break about a possible change of format. Class members will likely thank you for this!
- Ask members to sign in for the class as they arrive.
- Note the number of students in attendance on the front sheet for each session.
- Inform members about exits, bathroom locations, breaks, coffee, and the policy of no eating in the classrooms. Remind students to quiet or turn off cell phones.
- Distribute class material found in folder.
- Introduce the instructor. (Information about the instructor can be found in the catalog).
- Remind students to pick up their name tag from the OLLI member lounge.
- If no class follows, please turn off lights, lock the door and return the key to the office.
- You will find Course Feedback forms in the class folder on the day the course is to be evaluated. Distribute the forms to the class members at the beginning of the break and ask that they be returned to you by the end of class. Return completed forms to office.
We appreciate greatly the help that you give by being a course host. It is an invaluable assistance to our program.