Course Host Information - Charleston
Thank you for serving as a host for an OLLI class. Course hosts play an important role in OLLI at WVU, representing the program in the classroom, and we truly appreciate your service.
The following list of duties is meant to serve as a guide to assist you in providing the best possible experience for our volunteer instructors and members. If you have any questions, please contact the OLLI office at 304-293-1793 or email@example.com. If a course is meeting outside of regular business hours, please call Jascenna Haislet, Director, at 309-239-1540. Please note that knowledge of technical problems is not necessary for you to be a host.
- You will receive an email at least 24 hours in advance of the first class with a class list and any special instructions.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes early to be sure the classroom (City Center East, Room 1017) is open. If the class is being held off-site, ensure that it is accessible to members. If you need assistance in the City Center East building, contact the WVU Extension staff in the first floor office or Andrea Stephens on the 10th
- Introduce yourself to the instructor and tell him/her that you are the host.
- Ask the instructor how she/he wants to handle questions and comments from class members, and either you or the instructor should inform the class about the plan. We are encouraging instructors to consider suggesting people hold questions and comments until an appropriate time in the presentation to be sure they have time to finish their material. Of course, this is at the discretion of the instructor. However, if you feel questions and comments are interrupting the presentation for the instructor and other class members, feel free to talk to the instructor at the break about a possible change of format. Class members will likely thank you for this!
- Ask members to sign in for the class as they arrive. Check that each member has their OLLI membership card. If someone who is not on the class list wishes to attend, check their membership status on the Membership list. If they are not a member, please take their name and contact information and forward it to the OLLI office. We will follow up.
- Note the number of students in attendance on the front sheet for each session.
- Inform members about exits, bathroom locations, breaks, coffee, and the policy of no eating in the classrooms. Remind students to quiet or turn off cell phones.
- Introduce the instructor. (Information about the instructor can be found in the catalog).
- Course Feedback forms will be mailed or emailed to one week prior to the day the course is to be evaluated. Please distribute the forms to the class members at the beginning of the break and ask that they be returned to you by the end of class. Return completed forms to the office by either email or mail. Let class members know that the form can also be filled out online and submitted to the OLLI office within one week of the course.